Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chilli sweats 6

Later in the evening I went back on deck knowing It was too late to get settled and have a chance at the card action.
I wondered around a bit and smelt the air , that cool non weird air that I had
been pinning for.
I decided to go to the galley and see what`s for dinner.
I seemed to get a quite short retort from the chef , who told me to stop
bothering him, apparently I had already asked him.
I thought no more of this and went back on deck. I could hear the shouts of
exuberance from the card game echoing the enjoyment of a winning hand through
the steel structure of the boat. That`s how serious these games were.
I went back to the stern to enjoy a little peace and reflection.I peered into
the distance and saw a black distant plume of what I guess was a badly
maintained diesel engined ship. I watched it for a while.
We were doing a fair few knots. After twenty minutes or so of relaxing and
cooling out , I started to get a twitch of paranoia.
The black smoke was still directly behind us and even seemed to be gaining.
Were we running from it? nobody had told me. but that was normal.
It seemed to me that everything was on a need to know basis here.
Lets face it, what we did was extremely dubious and probably not ever legal

even in the most out of the way of offshore waters.
My paranoia got the better of me, and I suddenly realised that things were not
quite right.
I began to imagine that perhaps the other axe wealding individual had got back
to the boat before me.
Suddenly a hot wave throbbed in my head. I could see only red, I grasped out
and gripped the cold steel hand rail as my head spun, all of the hair on my
body stood up as I fell to my knees.
The next thing I remember was waking up in the small tender adrift, with the
Pointless Danger miles away glinting in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment