Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Wheels Mcinty

Archie "wheels" Mcinty, was an affable sort of guy,He would often bring a hand of cards to a halt with one of his many stories from his dubious past,I suspected he would use this as a technique to turn the game more in his favor. Some evenings you couldn`t get a word in edge ways.He would talk about the days when he was the wheel-man for some of London`s top firms, he would as a rule leave out or change some pertinent information concerning these blags, as he called them, to avoid any potential self incrimination. He strongly hinted that he had even worked for the Krays at some time.I began to notice Whatever his intention was, he seemed to win the hand after his unscheduled interruptions.

Many years later I began to receive Christmas cards and the like from him. How he tracked me down I don`t know I can only assume on some drunken occasion I had been less than normally cautious in divulging too much of my provenance. I imagine he had tracked me down years later from one of the websites I had appeared on concerning later business interests in the financial markets. But you can imagine my shock from receiving a Christmas card with an update of what he had been doing all those years since. It is interesting to notice oftentimes people are drawn back to their career roots inexplicably and coincidentally, especially if they were good at the job to start with. In my view his driving career had taken an upturn. For quite some time after leaving our boat, he became a chauffeur in California, and had the pleasure of driving all sorts of Famous people, including Ridley Scott, Stephan Spielburg, Roy Snieder, George Lucas, just to name a few. I still get cards from him today, but I have no idea of where he is living.The last one I received had an elephant on it and inside had the saying "An elephant never forgets"Quite apt I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment