Tuesday, February 8, 2011

when the banging started

That day it was cold , it was wet. I felt that cold antarctic wind cut it`s southern pain. If it didn`t wan`t to hurt your soul, it must have wanted your blood.
You could see it in everybody`s eyes. Cold wet pain.
These were the days you missed your family, your friends , a warm beer, bacon and eggs ,and your mum.The best we had to look forward to was a sea that had the grace not to kill us.
The deck was just plain dangerous, we had to be there.
All I could think was , for god`s sake lets go north, let`s get the hell out of hell.
Oh but no , we have to keep on looking for Jonny.
I knew Jonny had gone home.

It wasn`t the banging on the hull that woke me,
It was the nightmare I was having.
For days now, my sleep had been interrupted continually.I was beginning to worry that something wasn`t right.

More than anything, it struck me. The supernatural powers that kept me safe and sane, were not enough.
  I believed I could avoid disaster by using my in- built anxiety alarm system.
The problem was, It was going off , but I had no idea what it was warning me against." Of course !" I thought, Jonny being dragged down below the waves , by the invisible force,sharkmageddon,, nature at it`s bloodiest.
Surely it was that.. But if so, why? why can`t I sleep?
And then the banging started. There was no doubt now.It was loud! it was real.It was banging.

No comments:

Post a Comment